Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Living Room Updates

Well, it looks like my vacation time seems to be the time when I blog. So as Spring Break begins, I've got something new to blog about!

Saturday I started making a to do list and decided it was time to give the living room an updated look with some new pillows. Right now we have red pillows that I picked out from Kohls when I got the couch about 4 years ago. They are still in great shape (and therefore will be recovered instead of replaced), but I've found that my taste has changed some since then.

Here is the mood board I put together:
1)The fabrics are from Joann's- the floral is by Keepsake Calico, the light blue is by Waverly, 2)The couch is from Cindy Crawford Home which is found at the Room Store 3) One of my inspiration rooms-you should check it out! 4)Target Avington furniture 5) I'm hoping to cover our IKEA lamp shade with some fun yellow print like this by Waverly. 6) Another fun yellow accent -I can't remember the blog I found this on :-/ 7) A fun geometric rug like this may come in the future if we move somewhere with hardwoods... (In my dreams ;) )

I went to Joann's fabric and World Market today, however, I am absolutely horrible at making quick decisions. So my shopping trip turned into a "looking trip" where I took a ton of pictures of different fabrics that I liked. Overwhelmed, I then started to put the pictures of fabric together in publisher, and was able to find what I liked best (which are in the top left hand corner of the mood board).

I still have another fabric store to go to, but at least now I have a little better handle of what I want.

ATTENTION MOM (or any other helpful person reading this):
The next step will be to make envelope pillow covers. I've found several tutorials, with slightly different instructions and dimensions. Any ideas of which one would be easiest or turn out the nicest? I'm still somewhat of a novice when it comes to sewing, and this will be my first ever pillow cover!

* http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2012/08/easy-envelope-pillow-cover-tutorial.html
To make a 17" pillow they recommend 17"x 38"
*http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4LJnPEvjdDo#!
To make a 17" pillow she recommends 3 panels: 18"x 13", 18"x 14", 18"x 18"
*http://www.marthastewart.com/270503/three-ways-to-make-a-pillow-cover
The make a 17" pillow she recommends 18"x 32"

I'll be sure to post an update soon--and NOT wait until my summer vacation starts!

Blessings,
S + B

4 comments:

  1. If you're using fabric with a big pattern (e.g., striped, chevron--not a bunch of small flowers or polka dots), then the Martha Stewart folding method would make it the easiest to keep the pattern aligned from the front to the back since since you aren't cutting the fabric. The dimensions for those instructions sound about right, too (and nobody has to know if you need to rip out a seam or two :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hadn't thought about how that might make it easier to match up the pattern, but that is a great point!

      Delete
  2. I always do three panels because I like the look of a seam on all four sides. Envelope-style covers are super easy! Here's the tutorial I did for IKEA (similar to the youtube one you have): http://inspiringlifeathome.com/blog/simple-envelope-pillow-cover

    I like my pillows to be nice and full (no empty corners), so I always use the measurement of the pillow and add .5" to get the fabric measurement, then use .5-inch seams all the way around (so you end up with a pillow cover that's .5" inch narrower than your actual pillow, which allows it to be nice and full).

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! I want the pillow covers to be nice and snug, so this helps me with my dimension worries :)

      Delete